Thursday, January 3, 2019

Schwan's People You Need to Know

“Schwan’s People You Need to Know” is an ongoing series of stories about some of the people who help make Schwan's Company and its subsidiaries a great place to work.
Robert Hanson works as a production supervisor in Marshall, Minnesota.

Hanson knows it takes a team to succeed in production


Jan. 3, 2019 — For Production Supervisor Robert Hanson, his journey with Schwan’s began about five years ago when his family relocated to Marshall, Minnesota. He is our next team member featured in the “Schwan’s People You Need to Know” series, which explores the day-to-day operations and journeys of employees all across Schwan’s.

“When we moved, I asked around for suggestions of good companies in the area to work for; my sister-in-law suggested Schwan’s,” Robert said.

He had originally applied for a machine operator position, but based on Robert’s experience the interviewer determined he would be best suited for a production lead position. And three months later, he transitioned to the role of production supervisor.

Robert recently took some time to answer questions about his journey at Schwan’s. Here is what he had to say:

Q: Tell us something about yourself that most people at Schwan’s do not know.

A: I have an identical twin brother.

Q: What are you passionate about in your job?

A: I am passionate about people and succeeding as a team. I am very competitive by nature. I always want to do better. Knowing that production is not a one-person job, my focus has been developing a strong team. Training, proper tools and clearly defined expectations are crucial.

Q: What is a typical day like in your role?

A: I come in with the crew to start up each day and make sure we have the right people in the right places. I typically make my way around the plant talking with the crew while also assisting them with small tasks. Once set up is complete and ensuring the line is running, I usually have meetings and start other projects.

Q: How have you grown since working at Schwan’s?

A: During my time here, I have had some really good mentors and directors who have challenged my colleagues and I as well as properly identifying causes and developing action items to strengthen our skill sets. For me in particular, I have become better at problem solving and developing improvement plans.

Q: At Schwan's, we often talk about working as “one Schwan’s team.” What does that mean to you?

A: Applying this to our culture at the plant, we have a solid unity between production and our support groups. We know there are several people required to achieve our goals.

Q: What do you like best about Schwan's culture?

A: It is a family. People genuinely care for one another, yet we all still have our differences.

Q: What are you most proud of in your career with Schwan’s?

A: Being part of a team at the specialized food plant and watching improvements on one of our production lines. The line has made significant strides in reducing waste, complaints and downtime.

Popular Posts