Monday, October 16, 2017

Schwan's People You Need to Know

Helmke talks about personal and professional growth


"Schwan's People You Need to Know" is an ongoing series of stories that share some of our employees' experiences as we celebrate our 65th anniversary and participate as a founding partner of the Minnesota Super Bowl 52 Host Committee

Oct. 16, 2017 — Shannon Helmke has held many different roles over her 21-year career with Schwan’s Company and that has helped her grow personally and professionally.

“Having different responsibilities over the years has been a great education. I have learned how to be flexible, creative and open with myself and others,” she said. “I have also been able to join and volunteer for different activities for Schwan’s. This has been great in meeting new people, working with others and getting to know them personally.”

Shannon started her career in Schwan’s Home Service, the company’s home-delivery business. Her first position was as a product and pricing coordinator, and she later transferred to the company’s Shared Services team as a graphic designer. She was eventually promoted to supervisor of the graphic design team before transferring to Schwan’s Consumers Brands, which provides branded foods to retail stores, as the team’s senior graphic designer.

Shannon recently talked with us about her time with Schwan’s, what she’s most passionate about at work and her favorite football team.

Q: What are you passionate about in your job?

A: I enjoy designing and helping others succeed with their projects. When I go home at the end of the day and know that I made a difference for someone and the company, it’s a great feeling.

Q: What’s your typical day like?

A: No day is exactly the same and I never know what project I am going to work on next. I love that! I manage multiple projects at once — each with different deadlines and timelines. I could be working on packaging, a PowerPoint presentation, a freezer cling, an IRC/coupon and case mock up — all in one day.

Q: Tell us why your job is one of the most interesting jobs in the company.

A: I provide Schwan’s Consumer Brands with the creative expertise and design support they need to create the brands everyone loves.

Q: What have you been most proud of throughout your career at Schwan’s?

A: The lessons I’ve learned and where I am today. I was lucky to join the company right out of college and took a job that was not in my career field. Over the years, I have worked hard at what I do and have gained trust and confidence in others. I aimed to take on more challenging roles and projects and have had success and failures along the way. I have also been able to work with some amazing people and develop friendships while doing what I love.

Q: Tell us something about your job that most people don’t know and might find interesting.

A: With Schwan’s Consumer Brands, I work with packaging, photography and logos. I have also been able to work on several branding projects with the Xcel Energy Center, Target Center, US Bank Stadium and the Tony’s Pizza Event Center (in Salina, Kansas).

Q: What do you like about our culture?

A: Schwan’s teamwork and voice. Like anywhere, work can be difficult at times and having coworkers help alleviate work stress by helping out or by just being there is helpful. I also like knowing we as employees have a voice and can impact our mission and the company direction.

Q: Schwan’s is a founding partner of the Minnesota Super Bowl 52 Host Committee this year, are you a football fan?

A: Yes.

Q: Which team do you hope makes it to the Big Game next year?

A: I think it’s time for the Vikings to represent.

Q: What is your favorite Schwan’s® product to serve at your Super Bowl viewing party?

A: Schwan’s Summer Sausage.

Q: What’s your favorite Schwan’s product?

A: Red Baron® Classic Crust Mexican Style Pizza.

Popular Posts