Friday, December 22, 2017

'Schwan's People You Need to Know'

Coyne finds ‘meaningful participation’ at Schwan’s


"Schwan's People You Need to Know" is an ongoing series of stories that share some of our employees' experiences as we celebrate our 65th anniversary and participate as a founding partner of the Minnesota Super Bowl 52 Host Committee

Dec. 22, 2017 — Ryan Coyne has not been with Schwan’s Company’s family of businesses long, but he has already found his passion.

“In my job, I am passionate about being a knowledgeable, credible and valuable contributor to the teams I support,” he said. “(Our business strategy) has created a culture where our employees really do have meaningful participation. Meaningful participation is so key because it creates a work environment where everyone’s voice can be heard, employees are engaged, and people are striving to reach our company’s goals.”

Ryan joined Schwan’s about one year ago as an intern with the company’s finance department and then as an associate financial analyst. He recently accepted a new role as a financial analyst within the Schwan's Consumer Brands, Inc. finance team, where he supports direct-store delivery and operations teams.

He recently took some time to tell us about his career passion, his love of sports and why he likes Schwan’s business culture.

Q: Tell us about your career journey here at Schwan’s.

A: I started my career at Schwan's as a financial analyst intern over the summer of 2015. After graduating in the following spring, I joined Schwan's as a full-time employee within corporate finance as an analyst. I was in that role for a year and half, and I have just recently accepted a new role within Schwan's Consumer Brands as an analyst supporting direct-store-delivery and operations.

Q: How have you grown?

A: I have expanded my knowledge of finance and my ability to “tell the story” about what is going on within not only our corporate teams but also with the company as a whole. My understanding of how finance is used to drive decision-making and influence business decisions has expanded as well.

Q: What’s your typical day like?

A: There really is no “typical” day in my role. It really depends on the time of year and monthly calendar cycle. Depending on the time of year, I could be planning, forecasting, reporting or analyzing a month-end report. I also receive different asks or different ad hoc requests.

Q: Tell us why your job is one of the most interesting jobs in the company.

A: My argument for my job being the most interesting in the company would be that I have a very wide financial view of the company due to supporting almost all of our corporate functions as well as helping create the presentations for the board of directors.

Q: What’s your favorite memory at Schwan’s?

A: So far, I would say my favorite memory at work would be the town hall in March that talked about our three-year operational turnaround and highlighted the work people did to achieve the goals the company set. It was an encouraging presentation and made me hopeful about the future of the company.

Q: What are you most proud of since joining Schwan’s?

A: I would say I am most proud of the team that I work on and the people I work with. They really had a large role in helping me transition from college into a corporate environment. They supported me, coached me and really helped me develop as a person and as a business professional.

Q: Tell us something about yourself that most people don’t know about you.

A: I am the middle child of three boys, and we were all very heavily involved in sports and competition growing up. So much so that all three of us went on to compete in college athletics. My older brother played football at the University of Minnesota - Duluth and St. Thomas, my younger brother currently plays football at the University of North Dakota, and I played hockey at the University of Minnesota.

Q: Schwan’s is a founding partner of the Minnesota Super Bowl 52 Host Committee this year, are you a football fan?

A: Yes.

Q: What team are you hoping to see in the Big Game?

A: I would love to see the Vikings be the first team to ever win a Super Bowl at their home stadium!

Q: What is your favorite Schwan’s® product to serve at your Big Game viewing party?

A: Definitely, Schwan’s Mega Meat Pizza!

Q: What’s your favorite Schwan’s product?

A: Schwan’s Chip and Mint Ice Cream hands down!

Q: Tell us something about your job that most people don’t know and might find interesting.

A: When I was an intern, I created a competitor financial analysis file that turned into a slide that our chief financial officer used to present to the board of directors. Since returning to Schwan’s, the work I started as an intern had continued to be utilized and is still being used today.

Q: What do you like about our culture?

A: My favorite thing about our culture is that it allows employees to ask questions, challenge ideas and engage in active dialog that leads to better discussions.

Popular Posts